LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY®
The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology is a facilitated thinking, communication and solution building technique for use with organisations, teams and individuals. It draws on extensive research from the fields of business, organisational development, psychology and learning and is based on the concept of "hands knowledge".
The methodology is based on a set of fundamental belief about leadership and organisations:
- Leaders don't have all the answers
- Their success is dependent on hearing all voices in the room
- People naturally wish to contribute, be part of something bigger and take ownership
- Allowing each team member to contribute and speak out results in a more sustainable business
- Often, team work sub-optimally, leaving knowledge untapped in team members
- We live in a world which can best be described as complex and adaptive.
LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® Certification Program
The training is aimed at both consultants and in-house corporate staff interested in facilitating workshops that enhances business performance and innovation.
The training program prepares the participants to:
- Customize use of LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology in an organisation
- Develop and facilitate workshops using the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology.
The facilitator training program is designed to provide the trainee, as a skilled facilitator, with sufficient insights, information and experiences to prepare and carry out interventions and workshops using the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology.
The training provides the facilitator with hands-on experiences, theory, facilitation guidelines and application ideas.
The program follows the road-map developed by the Association of Master Trainers in the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® method. Trivium – the Danish consultancy company that will deliver the training in Bucharest - is a co-founding member of the Association. Trivium trainer, Jens Rottbøll (see bio below), is one initial people ever certified in the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology, in 2001.
Who is it for?
The facilitator certification program is aimed at people already experienced in facilitating workshops and/or coaching.
It is ideal for:
- Team building facilitators
- HR Professionals (HR Managers/HR Business Partners/Training/Talent Development/Recruiters)
- Project Managers
- Team Leaders
Lego® Serious Play® Introduction, Skills Building, LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® Essentials: Individual Model Building & Shared Model Building, Imagination Game, Debriefing.
Real Time Strategy: Individual Identity Building, Shared Identity, Landscapes, Debriefing.
Real Time Strategy: Landscape Connections & Systems, Playing Emergence & Decisions, Extracting Simple Guiding Principles, Design Essentials, Group Work Workshop Design.
Group Presentations, Real Time Strategy - Team Core, Aspirational & External Identity, Team Life Connections Landscape, Team Playing the Past and Emergence, Debriefing.
- Objective 1: Experience and learn the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology and its standard applications, Real Time Strategy for the Team and Real Time Strategy for the Enterprise.
- Objective 2: Learn about and experience the theories underpinning the methodology
- Objective 3: Gain the knowledge needed to effectively develop and facilitate workshops using LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® in their own area of operations.
- Objective 4: Practice designing and preparing customized applications of the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology.
- Objective 1:
- Deeper insight into the Core Process and the Seven Application Techniques
- Understanding the relationship between the methodology and the standard applications
- Experience workshops as end-user participant.
- Objective 2:
- Introduction to the theoretical concepts and using the method to demonstrate them
- Learn about user experiences
- Insight into critical parts of the methodology and applications (including what is flexible and what is not).
- Objective 3:
- Become a proficient LEGO Builder
- Heed the different styles of facilitation needed
- Recognize and reflect on the artificial nature of a training situation as opposed to an engaged working group.
- Objective 4:
- Design and facilitate a fragment of workshop with trainer and peer feedback
- Appreciate the practicalities of using LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY®
- Become familiar with the facilitator's manual.
Upon completion of the certification program, participants will be fully prepared as LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® facilitators, and will take with them:
- a complete set of instructional materials/manuals, featuring:
- an introduction to LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology, including its history and why & when to use the process
- the science behind the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology
- step-by- step instructions for facilitating the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology
- step-by- step instructions for facilitating the team development application
- step-by- step instructions for facilitating the business and strategy development application
- guidelines and tools for designing and preparing customized processes.
- The opportunity - without any restrictions - to use the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology and the special LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® materials in their work.
- A document of qualification that shows the facilitator has completed the Foundation Training in designing and facilitating workshops with LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY®, provided by Per Kristiansen - Trivium.
When & Where?
The training takes places in Bucharest, Romania.
Upon request, we have scheduled a second certification session this year in Romania:
- December 2-5, 2019
The training takes place from 09.00 to 18.00. On the third day of the training, the program will end around 21.30, with a workshop design session.
The training venue will be in Bucharest and is to be announced 1-2 weeks prior to the training.
The training language will be English.
The training fee is 2.750 Euro + VAT.
As a hands-on, minds-on program, the number of seats is limited to 12.
The training fee covers:
Refreshments and lunch
Light dinner on the 3rd day of the training
1 Real-Time Strategy for the Enterprise Workshop & 1 Real-Time Strategy for the Team Workshop embeded in the certification program
A one-hour personal mentoring call after the training
Jens Rottbøll is a Master Trainer in the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® method, and Member of the Association of Master Trainers in LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY®. Jens is a senior partner in Trivium - a Danish consulting company in Copenhagen.
As an executive coach, facilitator and Change Architect, he supports his clients in leadership development, strategy and innovation. Jens is a one of the most experienced facilitators of the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® method. Since 2001 he has facilitated a great number of all kinds of workshops based on the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® method. In Denmark and globally he has facilitated workshops with up to 400 people. He is acknowledged for his many years of using LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® designs to develop businesses and managers around the world.
Jens draws upon experiences that include a 15 years of top management positions within the music industry, as well the position as Director for Human Resource at the well known Danish Audio/Video company, Bang & Olufsen.
Jens is an Associated Partner with Franklin Covey, holds a diploma in Leadership and has completed a course of study at INSEAD and Wharton Business School.
The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® method is based on a body of unique research by Professors Johann Ross and Victor Bart, and a set of well-known theories, such as Constructionism (S. Papert) and Flow (M. Csikszentmihaly).
Recent academic work shows how LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY®:
- Can support expressing identity (David Gauntlet, University of Westminster – Creative Explorations).
- Stimulates communication, both within a team and between a team and its stakeholders (Louise Moeller Nielsen, Aalborg University).
- Creates shared frames of reference within a team at the early stages of innovation.
- Enables the birth of metaphors, as a symbol for important issues the organisation needs to tackle (Claus Jacobs, University of St Gallen – Crafting Strategy, Embodied Metaphors in Practice).